Welcome to Mary Walker High School
School Improvement Plan 2019-20
Principal: Matt Cobb
Goal #1 - Student Growth on Graduation Level Standardized Testing: Pass Rate 80% ELA, 50% Math
- ● Develop and support curriculum that prepares students for state assessments.
- ● Teachers work with the district to develop district-wide math and ELA curriculum.
- ● Teachers will use PLC time continuously address curriculum and update common
- ● Student Growth smart goals will be developed during the TPEP and PLC process.
- ● Implement new GRADUATION PATHWAYS.
- ● Principal will work with Learning Improvement Team to establish progress monitoring and develop building goals.
- ● Principal will consistently monitor curriculum and assessments through the evaluation process, walkthroughs, and PLC support.
- ● Principal will work with CTE Director to develop new career pathways.
- Teachers will use quarterly Smarter Balanced interim assessments in ELA and Math.
- Teachers will set classroom and small group student growth impact goals.
- Teachers will evaluate SBAC assessment claims in order to identify student ELA and math strengths and weaknesses.
- Teachers will use the PLC Cycle of Inquiry to discuss and monitor student growth.
Goal #2 - Reach 90% High School Graduation Rate
- ● LAP targeted instruction in English, math, and science courses.
- ● Credit Retrieval and study skills courses.
- ● Summer School.
- ● Open Doors and GED preparation.
- ● Implement on-line High School and Beyond Plans.
- ● Provide para support to teachers in credit retrieval and study skills.
- ● Provide para support in math and ELA courses.
- ● Meet monthly with the Learning Improvement Team to discuss ongoing curriculum
and assessment strategies along with appropriate student placement.
- ● Track monthly meeting of counselor in order to monitor graduation progress of all juniors and seniors (credits and assessments).
- ● Annual review of Washington graduation and assessment requirements.
- ● Weekly Mentoring used to create High School and Beyond Plans, and
support continuous academic improvement of all students.
Goal #3 - 85% 9th Grade Course Pass Rate
- ● Identify appropriate tiered intervention by using assessment, attendance, and academic achievement data.
- ● Provide monthly PLC time for 9th grade intervention specialist and 9th grade core
teachers to meet and discuss 9th grade success strategies.
- ● Meet weekly with 9th Grade Intervention Specialist to discuss
- ● Meet quarterly with 9th grade class to discuss effective citizenship and academic
- ● Monthly meetings with Tier 2 students and 9th grade Intervention Specialist and/or 9th grade counselor.
- ● Quarterly meeting with all 9th graders, principal, counselor, and 9th intervention specialist.
- ● Quarterly sharing and discussion of 9th grade success data with all staff.
- ● Weekly academic progress checks of all 9th grade students.
- ● Weekly meetings and parent contact with Tier 3 students (Intervention Specialist).
Goal #4: Increase College and Career Post Secondary Placement
- ● Implement on-line High School and Beyond Plans in Mentoring class..
- ● Assist each student in developing a Personal Career Graduation Pathway.
- ● Administer career interest and learning style inventories.
- ● Provide academic and career counseling services.
- ● Host college and professional visitations.
- ● Offer EWU College in the Classroom.
- ● Attend career days at local colleges.
- ● Host college admissions speakers
- ● Host local businesses for career forums and presentations
- ● Promote and monitor College Bound student progress
- ● Provide ASVAB to 9th-11th grade students.
- ● Provide FAFSA night for parents.
- ● Work with counselor to provide professional training opportunities.
- ● Invite numerous professional organizations to meet with student groups at MWHS.
- ● Complete post-graduate placement survey.
- ● Support Charger Mentoring Program.
- ● Maintain active Parent Advisory Council.
- ● Evaluate post- graduate survey data in order to monitor and adjust current programs.
- ● Evaluate fall and spring student-led conference data in order to evaluate student
- ● Track current FAFSA completion rates.
Goal #5: Close Achievement Gap on Standardized Testing
- ● Identify appropriate student group using Free and Reduced Lunch statistics.
- ● Compare ELA and math SBA scores of low income and non low income students. Leadership Strategies
- ● Provide targeted instruction in math and ELA for selected students.
- ● Provide mental health, academic and counseling support to targeted students.
- ● Provide academic intervention and strategies to improve performance.
- ● Evaluate classroom progress monitoring and growth data.
- ● Compare SBA ELA and math scores annually.
for 9th -12th grade students.
Mary Walker High School has been awarded the 2015 AND 2016 School of Distinction award for being one of the 5% highest improving schools in the State of Washington for Increased Reading/Math achievement and Graduation Rates over the past five years. Congrats to MWHS Staff and Students!
Family Access Available!
Check your child's grades, class assignments, attendance, and more online. For more information or to sign up for access, please contact the High School office at 258-4533 or click here. If you already have your access information, click on the logo below.Please contact the High School for a copy of the
click here for a free downloadable program.
Please use this service to notify the school anytime your child is
going to be absent. For more information, please click here.
Contact the school if you would like a refrigerator magnet
for easy access to the Absentee Line number!